‘Let’s take it back to the beach
Where we were young and carefree
This is how it should be
Said this city don’t feel me’
There’s something about a beach holiday that nourishes the soul – the sound of the ocean, the breath of fresh air and the sand between your toes. I love Throwbacks, I get to distract myself, reminisce and write about my travel adventures.
As they say, to travel is to live. I really do love travelling and undoubtedly I live, work hard and smart so I can travel and explore different amazing and extraordinary places. Travelling to the Bahamas was yet another one of those amazing experiences and grateful that I got to do with family. We travelled to Nassau (Bahamas) and we were based at Atlantis, Paradise Island – an ocean themed resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas.
Arriving at the hotel, felt like we were on a set of a family vacation movie scene (besides the fact that we were in a green stretch limo which they refer to as a ‘family car’.) As you step out the car into the open air lobby, there’s a cool breeze blowing, soft background sounds of the ocean and a friendly welcome by the staff.
‘Atlantis, Bahamas features the world’s largest open-air marine habitat; Aquaventure, a 141-acre water park, including the iconic Mayan Temple’s Leap of Faith slide; 11 incredible pools; four miles of magnificent beaches; a Tom Weiskopf-designed 18-hole, oceanfront golf course; and the Atlantis Casino.’
Atlantis features a variety of accommodation, we stayed the Cove, a stunning place, an oasis of style that provides a private escape that’s removed from, yet still part of, the amazing world of Atlantis. (The Cove pool area has been renovated and it was relaunched early in November)
We had 2 interleading family rooms, both very spacious with a separate lounge area that leads to the balcony with breathtaking views of the ocean.
Both rooms had a full bathroom (bath and separate shower) and provided basic hotel amenities.
Other Accommodation at Atlantis
- The Royal Tower – The Royal Towers is the icon of Atlantis featuring the awe-inspiring mythology of the Lost City of Atlantis risen from the sea.
- The Coral Towers – Dedicated to multigenerational family fun.
- The Beach Tower – the Beach Tower offers casual, come-as-you-are beachfront and garden facing rooms.
- The Reef – The Reef offers luxury, residential-style studios and suites offering vacationers all the comforts of home, with the service and experience of a magnificent resort.
- Harbour Site Resort – Harborside Resort features spacious residential-style villas, offering guests kitchens or kitchenettes, creating a casual, home-away-from-home feeling.
From fine dining to quick and easy meal, there’s endless options for every palette. Atlantis features 20 restaurants and 19 bars and lounges. What I liked about Atlantis is the fact that the restaurants are child friendly.
- This was our breakfast spot, so many great selections – from your basic eggs to variety of cereals, assorted meat and cheese, they had something for everyone.
- Their bircher muesli was amazing, very well prepared and consistent everyday.
- They had a pastrie section with muffins, doughnuts, croissants, danish pastries…etc I had to stay clear from as I have a weakness for pastries.
- Nobu is Japanese cuisine at its best, a true culinary experience courtesy of executive chef Nobu Matsuhisa.
- Great atmosphere and the sushi was lovely. I had a few vegetarian dishes and they were well prepared, vegetables were al dente and cooked to perfection. Service was exceptional and overall great night out for the family. Nobu is on the list of the top restaurants, we loved this place.
- 77° West (I think this place has a new name now)
- Spacious, open restaurant with perfect lighting that creates a lovely atmosphere. 77°West offers South American-inspired cuisine with a Bahamian touch. Not much of a selection from a vegetarian perspective, I had the Oven Baked Wheat Tostada and Casa Quinoai salad. Service was good, but I must say the food experience was not at all memorable for me.
- This restaurant came highly recommended by the hotel staff, I think they saw brown people and figured we would love a BBQ experience. Let’s just say we were left underwhelmed here.
- The vegetarian options, the grilled veges and cornbread to be exact were blend and tasteless so I ended up eating a plate of chip. Apparently the ribs and chicken wings were great. Overall experience here was underwhelming.
Best Dessert Places
- An ice cream, gelato and sorbet experience created by Bahamian Chef Wayne Moncur.
- The décor look and feel is fresh, modern with soft touches of torques.
- Sun & Ice’s ice cream, gelato and sorbet flavors are made fresh, in-house daily and offer unique flavours and names given. Each scoop has a story, and flavors are infused with local Bahamian ingredients like sea grapes and sapodilla.
- Ben & Jerry’s
- Yes Im obsessed with Ben and Jerry’s and if I see one I have to have one. Such a treat to have a stand-alone store at Atlantis.
Activities & Experiences
Atlantis has everything for everyone, the abundance of activities and experiences are overwhelming but great as they cater to different types of travellers.
- You can explore the world’s largest open-air marine habitat with over 50,000 marine animals in 15 exhibit lagoons
- Spend a day at the 141-acre water park filled with water slides and river rides or just soak up the sun at one of the 11 amazing pools or beaches.
- Snorkel, scuba, snuba, and dive or walk with sharks.
- For the fitness fanatic, there’s a fully equipped fitness centre, you can enjoy yoga, pilates or simply unwind in their world class Mandara Spa.
- For the golfers, play a round of golf at the 18-hole Ocean Club Golf Course with spectacular views of the ocean.
- Indulge in their island tours or nightlife or if you prone to taking risk with money, visit the casino.
- For parents travelling with little people and wanting some adult time, the resort has a kids club.
Every trip has at least one highlight, and on this leg of the trip I had so many but the one that came very high was the Dolphin encounter. We had such an incredible time smimming with the dolphins.
Another epic family trip to add to my travel adventures. Atlantis, Paradise Island (Bahamas) is truly an experience like no other, we continue to create memories that will last a lifetime.